Hard Disk Drive¶
- the tracks of disk platters that has same diameter
- a 3d structure looks like a cylinder without top and bottom
- the sectors of disk patters
- looks like a cut cake
- basic read/write device
Creating some logical regions on a drive to manage it.
The partition information is stored in a partition table.
MBR (Master Boot Record)¶
The traditional partition table that can be applied to most PCs that use BIOS.
- supports 32bit and 64bit systems
- supports limited number of (primary) partitions
- cannot (officially) support drives larger than 2T due to the way it addresses space
See the tables in wikipedia for the details about structures.
- Primary partitions
- at most 4
- Extended partitions
- uses “space” of a primary partition
- Logical partitions
- created in extended partitions
- does not count as a primary partition, can have more than 4